Meis (Kastellorizo) Island Boat Trip
One island,3 names;known as Kastellorizo today, the lovely Greek island is also named Megisti or Meis. According to historical references, it was called Kizilhisar in Turkish and as Megisti during the Ottoman age. Meaning “eye” in Greek, Meis island is situated exactly across from KaŞ and as a matter of fact, Kas and Meis appear to be taking after their literal meanings as “eyebrows” and “eye”. The only settlement on the island, Kastellorizo (also referred to Meis or Megisti), was named after the crimson rocks on the island by the Knights of St. John (Knights Hospitaller) and its name has been slightly transformed by locals on the island (meaning the Crimson Castle). On this island of about 400 inhabitants, the attractions worth visiting are churches, museums, a fortress, and most particularly, a blue cave. The second largest cave of Europe, The Blue Grotto (Blue Cave) is located right at the far side of the island.
It’s one of the spectacular Greek islands for its courteous people, fresh food, and Italian-style old houses. Moreover, Meis ferry lines and flights have been available every day from Rhodes, since summer 2007.
There are various options for access from Kaş to Meis Island. You can go to the island taking the Kas – Meis Ferry available every day or ,if you prefer ,make a Meis boat trip renting a private yacht from Kas, with your departures and arrivals dependent on your own schedule. At the same time, crewed yacht rental from Kas will let you see the Blue Grotto free of charge.
Above all, your passports will be collected from your door by our agents and necessary legal procedures dealt with,so you have no need to worry about visiting the customs office,and then finalized upon return from your splendid Kaş-Meis boat trip.
Please note;To visit the island, Turkish citizens are required to have a Schengen visa. Even so, Green (special) Passport owner Turkish citizens can enter Kastellorizo Island visa-free by taking either the Kastellorizo Island ferry or a private Kastellorizo boat trip.All other nationalities should check their own visa status for this trip before booking.
- Following the passport procedures, our Kas Meis boat sails off to the island, which is one of the closest Greek islands to Turkey, at 10:00 in the morning.
- After a 20-minute voyage, only 1 nautical knot from Kas, Meis Island welcomes us with open arms along with its fascinating beauty.
- While the suns rays dance upon the deep blue waves, you will catch a glimpse of the adorably colorful toy brick houses of the island through the still masts of the boats anchored on the shore.
- A fortress, several churches, a museum, a small hospital, a few banks, and a duty free-shop – available for you to do duty-free shopping, can be found in the island. If you wish, we can accompany and guide you during your visit to the island’s attractions.
- Afterwards, we will sail to the second largest cave in Europe: The Blue Grotto of the island. We will view the cave and it’s special occupants; the Mediterranean seals, with our speedboat which accompanies our Meis boat.
Our pleasant Kastellorizo boat trip finishes at 16:00 and then we sail back to Kaş.